January 6, 2006

Good-bye Seattle, Hello Tanzania

My first trip to Tanzania was with my grandmother nearly 4 years ago, and I've been planning a return ever since. I finally reached my 4th year of medical school where there is enough elective time to travel abroad. I love 4th year! 3 days ago, I boarded a plane to spend 8-weeks learning tropical medicine and infectious disease at Selian Lutheran Hospital in Arusha, Tanzania and then a couple more weeks traveling. My grandfather spent some years of his life practicing medicine in Tanzania, and although I never knew him, I credit him with sparking my interest in international medicine. It also helps that I have family to visit in Arusha and my parents agreed to visit at the end of my stay to climb Kilimanjaro with me, go on a safari, and visit Zanzibar island. My uncle, Erik, picked me up at the airport and yesterday I ran around town with my aunt Bernice while my cousin Nashesha was at home sick with malaria. She's feeling much better today.

Llink to Selian Hospital's web page http://selianlh.habari.co.tz/

Before my trip, I had a wonderful Christmas break filled with family time and lots of snow. I feel like I've been on vacation for so long that I've forgotten what to do in a hospital. I'm sure it will come back fast. I've been reading about malaria, HIV, TB, etc. and I'm interested to see how diagnosis and treatment in practice differs from any "recommended guidelines" as every area in the world is slightly different. I begin at Selian on Monday and I am spending the weekend with Erik, Bernice, and Nashesha. I'm still adjusting to the time change and all the new noises at night of crickets, dogs, roosters, discos, and the morning call to prayer.

I will post pictures and stories as I'm able and I welcome any emails from home.

My brothers and I skiing at Holden Village in the North Cascades above Lake Chelan on New Years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

¡Hola Thea! Kjersti and I are on our last day in Granada, Spain and are killing time before our flight home by reading your blog! So far it is awesome and we have big expectations for posts to come! Have fun saving lives and tell Nashesha we´re pulling for her. ¡Adios!

Anonymous said...

Thea, Thank you so much for sharing all these experiences with us. Your grandparents would have been very proud of you as I know your parents are. You will never forget your time in the Arusha area and at Ilburo (I lived there for a few years also). We hope to hear much more from you when you return to Washington State. - Marj Nishek, Bonners Ferry, ID